General Events and News/Chat
1. Happy National Hedgerows Week – Mon 8 May – Sun 14 May.
Or perhaps here in the Dales we should have a National Dry Stone Walls week. Either way, these boundaries and their adjacent centimetres of soil are often excellent havens for wildlife, compared to the reseeded almost monoculture grassland in the fields in many parts. National Hedgerow Week 2023 . Take part in the National Hedgerow survey. Also coming up soon are
2. Churches Count on Nature Week (Sat 3 June- Sun 11 June) Could you help your local church do a wildlife survey? and
3. 1-30 June: 30 Days Wild – Go outdoors everyday in June. www.wildlifetrusts.org/30dayswild
4. 10 – 18 June Great Big Green Week
5. 27 May: Yorkshire Naturalists Union Field Meeting at Hell Wath at Ripon is on Sat 27th May (not the week on 21 before as I may have said earlier) These meetings are attended by naturalists in different subjects – from flowers to moths to birds. I cannot go on 27th, but may visit the place earlier.
Do revisit my blog post 45 Teashops & Eating places within 2.6 miles of Settle – I have added the Swimming Pool Café: Also my new post: Vegan Food in restaurants in and near Settle – recommendations from people on Settle Chat on Facebook.
I attended the Friday and Saturday of the four days of “The Big One” climate/nature demonstrations at Westmnster London 21-24 April . I write a little more about it at the end of this email, and will put more at my blog here
Events: – Specific
6. Sat 13 May: Action on Climate Emergency Settle at St Johns Church Hall, Settle BD24 9JH (10.30-12.30pm)
This month’s Café feature is about generating our own electricity with a presentation from our energy group about developing more local capacity. This will also include updates: on the proposed energy local club (for generators and consumers to be connected up), our forthcoming roof-top solar survey and using/borrowing a thermal imaging camera (that we have on long term loan from Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust) to assess heat loss from our homes.
Chat over refreshments (10.30-11) about topical issues associated with the climate and biodiversity crises and actions taking place – at local, national and international levels.
You can read the May 2023 ACE Newsletter here Do Read it.
7. Sat 13 May: Poetry and Puddings evening – St Johns Methodist Church Settle Social Event put on for all of Settle. Free. Donations welcome. You are invited to bring along a pudding to share and one or more poems to read or recite! There will be no formal running order, just sign up on the night! Everyone is extremely welcome! BD24 9JH
8. Sun 14 – 20 May: Christian Aid Week – There will be a plant sale in the Quaker Meeting House garden all week (Opposite Victoria Hall): Bring your donated plants and look for plants to buy.
Can you help us at Settle to raise £3000 this year?
If you would like to donate online to Christian Aid we invite you to do it through our Settle Churches Together Page https://envelope.christianaid.org.uk/settle-district-2023-collection or to give it in an envelope that week in the boxes at the Coop or at Lamberts News.
9. Tue 16 th: Settle Street Collection
10. Wed 17th: 6pm-7.30pm Coffee Evening at St John’s; Note early time – so you can still attend other meetings afterwards!!.
11. Sat 20 10-1: Bacon Butties and other Brunch items at Holy Ascension Church (Parish Church).
12. Sat 20 3-4.30pm: Afternoon tea at Settle Quaker Meeting House
13. Wed 17 May: Eco-Explorers: 4pm – 5.30pm. For families with children 4 – 11.
This week will be a Walk at the Board Walk at Malham Tarn Details 07753618381 (Or contact me).
This is a lovely way to enjoy the countryside with other young people and to learn names of common wild flowers – and see some rarer ones too. the Globeflowers should be starting to come out. Last year we saw an amazing number of Lizards on the board walk. Well, over six. Meet at the Quarry Car Park. It is forecast to be fine.
We had a great walk a month ago along Watery Lane, and last week to the Wood Anemones, Early Bluebells and Primroses of Wharfe Wood. Settle Eco-Explorers | Facebook
14. Mon 22 May: Craven Speakers Club, 28 Otley Street, Skipton BD23 1EW 7.15pm for 7.30pm
Have you been meaning to come all term? This is your last chance – Give us a try (for free).
Otherwise book your place to join the club on 11 September 2023 when we restart on alternate Monday evenings.
People come to improve their speaking skills, to gain confidence, or because they come to help us by swelling the audience but then they stay because the evenings are so stimulating and fun.
I see that Settle Stories offers some online training in speaking skills at https://www.storyversity.org/courses . Why not try one of these courses and then come and practice what you have learned at Craven Speakers Club?
15. 3,4 & 10,11 June: North Yorkshire Open Studios : Over 100 artists and makers invite you into their studios
Bridget Tempest at Rushbank near Carleton
Frank Gordon (Settle)
Hester Cox and Penny Hunt (Horton)
Annie Farrer (Clapham)
Terry Hird (Burton in Lonsdale)
Tony Roberts (Bentham)
Katharine Homes (Malham)
Sarah Roche (Airton)
Brian Butler (Hetton)
Three people (in Gargrave)
Seven people (in Skipton ) and
80 people in other parts of North Yorkshire